The Finance Department is responsible for managing all aspects of the town’s finances in an open, accountable and timely manner in accordance with general auditing standards and the general statutes of the state of North Carolina. It is responsible for preparing and administering the town’s budget. Tasks include:
- Issuing business licenses
- Overseeing the billing and collection of utility bills
- Collecting prepared food and beverage tax funds
- Collecting fire inspection and permit fees
- Handling accounts receivable and payable
- Handling purchase orders and requisitions
- Maintaining insurance verifications
- Maintaining town contracts
- Maintaining the town's capital asset records
We are located in the Town Hall Annex, 137 N. Churton St. Parking accessed from West Tryon Street.
Hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Mail: Finance Department, PO Box 429, Hillsborough, NC 27278
Finance Director: Ext. 1001
Assistant Finance Director: Ext. 1003
Accounting Technician: Ext. 1008 (for business licenses; food and beverage tax; fire inspection; and fire marshal permit fee collections)
Accounts Clerk: Ext. 1006 (for accounts payable; accounts receivable)
- Business License (Privilege License) — required to operate a business within Hillsborough town limits.
- Food and Beverage Tax — a 1 percent sales tax levied on the sales of prepared food and beverages sold within Hillsborough town limits.
- Mobile Food Vendors — regulations and permitting information for operating a pushcart or food truck within Hillsborough town limits.
- Town Fee Schedule — located on the Town Budget page.
- Fire inspections and permitting — located on the Fire Marshal page.
Frequently Asked Questions
The 3-percent occupancy tax became effective July 1, 2012.
- Notice of Implementation
- Occupancy Tax Form
- Occupancy Tax Form Instructions
- Contact Information Form
Interested in selling goods or services to the town? Contact the Finance Department.
Water and Sewer Services
- Water/Sewer Billing and Collections Page — information on paying your water bill.
- Water Assistance Program — an assistance program to help those in financial hardship pay their water bill. View page for assistance or information on donating to the program.
- About Town Government
- Emergency Information
- Public Information
- Departments and Programs
- Fire Marshal
- Public Works
- Stormwater Management
- Water and Sewer Services
- Boards and Commissions
- Town Budget
- Meeting Calendar
- Town Code
- Green Initiatives
- Our Partners
- Doing Business
- I Want To...
- Apply For...
- Report ...
- Subscribe to Town News
- Participate in the Water Assistance Program
- Pay a Water Bill
- View Bid Postings
- Reserve a Park Facility
- Look up where I live
- Look up my Zoning
- Employee Intranet