The Hillsborough Planning Department issues Zoning Compliance Permits (ZCPs) for activities that are regulated under the Unified Development Ordinance on property in the town limits and in the extraterritorial jurisdiction. In some cases, a building permit may also be required. Building permits and inspections are issued by the Orange County Planning and Inspections Department; their webpage can be accessed using the link to the right.
A Zoning Compliance Permit is issued for:
- Site change: such as relocating or expanding an existing structure, or constructing a new building, accessory building, deck, or fence.
- Sign: installing a new sign or changing the location, sign face, or message of an existing sign.
- Change of Use: moving your business into an existing non-residential retail/office space.
- Home Occupation: operating a business out of your personal residence.
- Temporary and event signage, including sandwich boards and banners.
To apply for a Zoning Compliance Permit please fill out the application form (download links at bottom of page) and return it to:
P.O. Box 429
101 E. Orange St.
The application MUST have both SIGNATURES to be considered complete. You may email it in, but you must email a scanned copy that includes both signatures. Once submitted, the turn-around time for a permit application is typically 1-2 business days. We will call you when the permit is ready, and you will need to come in to sign for the permit and pay the permit fee at that time.
Please call the Planning Department at 919-732-1270 Ext. 85 or 74 with any questions about the permit or application materials.
Check your zoning on the Zoning Information page.
|Zoning Compliance Permit Application (PDF)||484.57 KB|
|Zoning Compliance Permit Application (Word Form)||182.5 KB|
|Sample Plot Plan||132.04 KB|
- About Town Government
- Board of Commissioners
- Departments and Divisions
- Advisory Boards
- Meeting Calendar
- Agendas and Minutes Archive
- Staff Directory
- Emergency Information
- Public Information
- Town Budget
- Town Code
- Green Initiatives
- Town Jurisdiction and Service Areas
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Doing Business
- I Want To...
- Park Reservation Permits