The Engineering and Utilities Department provides water and sewer service to Hillsborough customers, while the Water and Sewer Billing and Collections Office arranges connections for new customers, schedules meter readings, collects monthly payments and handles requests to check for leaks and malfunctioning meters. Other services, such as flow meter tests and pressure readings, are available for a fee.
Report water line breaks, frozen meters and other emergencies immediately:
919-732-2104, ext. 1007
After hours, weekends and holidays:
New Service Accounts
The town requires all of the following to start a new service account:
- Valid driver's license, government ID or passport
- Copy of a lease agreement if renting
- $20 nonrefundable connection fee
- Low credit risk:
- $25 in town
- $50 out of town
- Medium credit risk:
- $75 in town
- $150 out of town
- High credit risk:
- $175 in town
- $225 out of town
- Low credit risk:
New customers are also asked to provide a Social Security number. A higher deposit can be paid in lieu of providing the number.
Service is generally available within 24 hours of the deposit being paid.
Accounts can be transferred between addresses for a $20 fee.
Billing and Payment
Meters are read monthly, and water and sewer usage is billed monthly. Balances can be paid several ways:
- Online: Requires the account number, PIN and ZIP code appearing on the billing statement.
- Bank draft: Requires a completed bank draft application and a voided check.
- In person: Office hours are 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday, except holidays, at the Town Hall Annex, 137 N. Churton St.
- Deposit box: Available at the Town Hall Annex, 137 N. Churton St.
- Mail: Send payments to PO Box 429, Hillsborough, NC 27278.
Current charges are due by the 25th day of the month. If the 25th day falls on a weekend or holiday, the bill is due on the next business day. Payments received after 5 p.m. on the due date are considered late, regardless of payment option used.
Water Assistance Program
Certain customers may be eligible for help paying bills through the Water Assistance Program, a program funded through donations from other utility customers.
Disconnection and Reconnection
Utility services are subject to disconnection for nonpayment. Reconnection is made only upon payment of the full amount due, including late penalties. Customers who have water service disconnected due to nonpayment must call the office to have service restored.
Service can be voluntarily disconnected by contacting the office.
Malfunctioning Water Meters
Customers may request meters be reread or tested for accuracy. The standard for meter accuracy is plus or minus 10 percent.
If a meter’s seal is broken by anyone other than a town representative, or if a meter fails to register water use, the customer will be charged an amount based on an average of the previous six months.
Customers may request adjustments to bills if they show that a break in a water line has resulted in extraordinary charges for a given billing period. In such cases, the customer will be charged an amount based on an average of the previous six months.
Customers are allowed one leak adjustment per calendar year. Sufficient documentation of a leak must be provided by a plumber or maintenance person, or customers must provide receipts for items purchased for repairs.
Leak adjustments must be requested no later than three months after the billing date.
Hillsborough charges for a minimum usage of 2,600 gallons each billing cycle. Additional use is billed per 1,000 gallons. For in-town and out-of-town rates, see the Utility Fee Calculations on the Town Budget page. For more information, see the water and sewer rates FAQ.
Town Hall Annex
137 N. Churton St., Hillsborough, NC 27278
- Billing and Collections Supervisor Jenny Overman, 919-732-2104, ext. 1002
- Billing and Collections Clerk Jackie Manning, 919-732-2104, ext. 1007
- Doing Business
- I Want To...
- Apply For...
- Report ...
- Pay a Water and Sewer Bill Online
- Pay a Bill in Person or by Mail
- Sign up for Emergency Telephone Notifications
- Subscribe to Town News
- View Curbside Collections Calendar
- View Bid Postings
- Participate in the Water Assistance Program
- Check if My Home Receives Town Services
- Look up Zoning
- Reserve a Park Facility
- View Employment Opportunities
- Contact the Town