The Wastewater Treatment Plant was built in 1977, with upgrades in 2001 and 2007 to improve solids management, nutrient removal and treatment capabilties. A 2014 expansion and upgrade allowed the plant to meet recent state requirements to protect Falls Lake, resulting in discharged water quality among the best in the nation.
Naturally occurring nutrients — such as nitrogen and phosphorus — can cause algae growth, depleted oxygen and fish kills if not brought to safe levels before the treated wastewater is discharged into the Eno River and eventually reaches Falls Lake.
The plant uses a five-stage enhanced biological nutrient removal process, including filtering, which removes nitrates; disinfecting with chlorine; and removing chlorine before the water is discharged. The plant can treat up to 3 million gallons per day.
The plant's objectives are:
- Providing good stewardship of the resources entrusted by citizens and customers.
- Treating wastewater to a quality that provides a healthy environment for aquatic life and downstream recreational users and drinking supplies.
- Managing the biosolids program to benefit the environment and the local farmers who use the product.
- Proactively working with local and state agencies, organizations and individuals to monitor and protect the region's water, soil and air.
Call the plant using the number below to schedule a time.
Wastewater Quality Reports
Annual wastewater quality reports include information on the management of the collection system, the wastewater treatment process and the status of special projects.
- 2014 Annual Report
- 2013 Annual Report
- 2012 Annual Report
- 2011 Annual Report
- 2010 Annual Report
- 2009 Annual Report
- 2008 Annual Report
- 2007 Annual Report
- 2006 Annual Report
- 2005 Annual Report
- William D. Hatfield Award for Outstanding Performance and Professionalism in the Operation of a Wastewater Treatment Plant, American Water Works Association, North Carolina Section: Jeff Mahagan, 2013
- Wilbur E. Long Jr. Award for Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator of the Year, N.C. Department of Environment and Natural Resources, Water Pollution Control System Operators Certification Commission: Jeff Mahagan, 2011
- Wastewater Treatment Plant Operations and Maintenance Award, American Water Works Association, North Carolina Section, Central Region: Hillsborough Wastewater Treatment Plant, 2009
- Doing Business
- I Want To...
- Apply For...
- Report ...
- Pay a Water and Sewer Bill Online
- Pay a Bill in Person or by Mail
- Sign up for Emergency Telephone Notifications
- Subscribe to Town News
- View Curbside Collections Calendar
- View Bid Postings
- Participate in the Water Assistance Program
- Check if My Home Receives Town Services
- Look up Zoning
- Reserve a Park Facility
- View Employment Opportunities
- Contact the Town