- I Want To...
- Apply For...
- Report ...
- Participate in the Water Assistance Program
- Pay a Water Bill
- Place a Bid
- Reserve a Park Facility
- Look up where I live
- Look up my Zoning
- Employee Intranet Logon
The Hillsborough Planning Department is responsible for enforcing the land development ordinances enacted by the Hillsborough Board of Commissioners within the town limits and within the Hillsborough Extraterritorial Jurisdiction (ETJ). The Planning Department also is responsible for planning for future development and growth within its jurisdiction. The department's tasks include:
- Land development plan and permit review by staff and advisory boards.
- Facilitating public interaction and participation in the plan review process through advisory board membership, public meetings, hearings and one-on-one communication.
- Suggesting ordinance amendments to keep current with technology and trends.
Creating and maintaining
GISzoning and development databases and providing GISsupport to the town.
- Overseeing specialty planning areas, such as historic preservation and parks planning.
- Working with advisory boards on long-range plans that aim to create a healthy and vibrant community.
- Representing the town on regional planning committees.
The Hillsborough Planning Department issues zoning compliance permits, but it does NOT issue building permits or perform building inspections. Those are issued through the Orange County Planning Department,
The Hillsborough Planning Department is located in Town Hall, 1
Planner: Stephanie Trueblood, Ext. 74
Provides staff support to the Historic District Commission and the Parks and Recreation Board. Provides
Senior Planner: Tom King, Ext. 73
Performs site plan review and issues zoning compliance permits. Provides staff support to the Board of Adjustment. Coordinates the work of and serves on the Technical Review Committee.
Planning Director: Margaret Hauth, Ext. 86
Directs work flow within the department to accomplish goals and board directives. Provides staff support to the Town Board and Planning Board. Serves as primary contact for re-zonings, major subdivisions, special use permits, code enforcement and addressing.
Use our Key to Town and County Services page to find out whether you live within town limits or the extraterritorial jurisdiction.
Administrative Manual (application deadlines, fees, and application packets)
Zoning Information (map and designations by address and PIN)
Zoning Compliance Permit — Required for site changes (additions and new construction); signs; changes of use; or home occupations within the Hillsborough town limits and extraterritorial jurisdiction.
Certificate of Appropriateness Permit — Required for site changes or changes to the exterior of structures located in the Historic District Overlay Zone.
Community Event Banner Permit — Reserve the banner spot at the "Welcome to Hillsborough" sign at the South Churton and Mayo streets intersection to advertise community activities, functions, festivals, and similar events.
- Town News
- About Hillsborough
- Emergency Information
- Town Government
- Town Staff Directory
- Departments and Services
- Business Services
- Fire Marshal
- Public Works
- Stormwater Management
- Water and Sewer Services
- Boards and Commissions
- Meeting List
- Board of Commissioners
- Board of Adjustment
- Historic District Commission
- Margaret Lane Cemetery Committee
- Parks and Recreation Board
- Planning Board
- Tourism Board
- Tourism Development Authority
- Town Clock Committee
- Tree Board
- Water/Sewer Advisory Committee
- Waste Transfer Station Advisory Committee
- Town Budget
- Meeting Calendar
- Town Code
- Green Initiatives
- Bid Postings
- Development Activity
- Economic Development
- Additional Resources
- Site map
Would You Like to Serve on an Advisory Board?
Check the Boards & Commissions page to view current vacancies and to fill out a volunteer application.