The Hillsborough Planning Department is responsible for enforcing the land development ordinances enacted by the Hillsborough Board of Commissioners within the town limits and within the Hillsborough Extraterritorial Jurisdiction (ETJ). The Planning Department also is responsible for planning for future development and growth within its jurisdiction. The department's tasks include:
- Land development plan and permit review by staff and advisory boards.
- Facilitating public interaction and participation in the plan review process through advisory board membership, public meetings, hearings and one-on-one communication.
- Suggesting ordinance amendments to keep current with technology and trends.
- Creating and maintaining
GISzoning and development databases and providing GISsupport to the town.
- Overseeing specialty planning areas, such as historic preservation and parks planning.
- Working with advisory boards on long-range plans that aim to create a healthy and vibrant community.
- Representing the town on regional planning committees.
The Hillsborough Planning Department issues zoning compliance permits, but it does NOT issue building permits or perform building inspections. Those are issued through the Orange County Planning Department,
The Hillsborough Planning Department is located in Town Hall, 1
Project Planner: Stephanie Trueblood, Ext. 74
Provides staff support to the Historic District Commission, the Parks and Recreation Board and the Tree Board. Provides GIS support to the town, performs design and small area planning, including the U.S. 70/Cornelius Street Corridor, Churton Street Corridor and the Wayfinding Signage System. Serves on the Regional Wayfinding Committee, the Intergovernmental Parks Workgroup, the Alliance for Historic Hillsborough Member Organizations Staff Group and the Orange County GIS Users Group.
Senior Planner: Tom King, Ext. 85
Performs site plan review and issues zoning compliance permits. Provides staff support to the Board of Adjustment. Coordinates the work of and serves on the Technical Review Committee.
Planning Director: Margaret Hauth, Ext. 86
Directs work flow within the department to accomplish goals and board directives. Provides staff support to the Town Board and Planning Board. Serves as primary contact for re-zonings, major subdivisions, special use permits, code enforcement and addressing.
- About Town Government
- Emergency Information
- Departments and Programs
- Fire Marshal
- Public Works
- Stormwater Management
- Water and Sewer Services
- Boards and Commissions
- Town Budget
- Meeting Calendar
- Town Code
- Green Initiatives
- Government Access Channel
- Town News Releases
- Water Supply Status
- Our Partners
- Doing Business
- I Want To...
- Apply For...
- Report ...
- Subscribe to Town News
- Participate in the Water Assistance Program
- Pay a Water Bill
- View Bid Postings
- Reserve a Park Facility
- Look up where I live
- Look up my Zoning
- Employee Intranet