- I Want To...
- Apply For...
- Report ...
- Participate in the Water Assistance Program
- Pay a Water Bill
- Place a Bid
- Reserve a Park Facility
- Look up where I live
- Look up my Zoning
- Employee Intranet Logon
New Hours at Orange County Solid Waste Centers
NOTE: The following information was released by the Orange County Solid Waste Management Department. For more information, call 968-2788 or e-mail email@example.com.
The operating hours at Orange County’s five solid waste convenience centers have changed in response to citizen requests for expanded weekend hours.
All centers now are closed Wednesdays and Thursdays. They are open Tuesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The centers at Eubanks Road and Walnut Grove Church Road are open on Mondays additionally.
The new hours are:
- 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday and Friday
- 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday
- 1 to 6 p.m. Sunday
- The Eubanks Road and Walnut Grove Church Road centers also are open 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mondays.
Later this fiscal year, improvements will be made to the Walnut Grove Church Road center. Improvements will include paving the site; expanding the site to improve traffic flow; installing compactors with lower loading height; creating a two-tiered unloading area for heavy and bulky items to improve accessibility; adding recycling collections for cooking oil, food waste and plastic film; and adding a household hazardous waste collection center. The improvements will be designed and permitted this fall, with work beginning in the spring, weather permitting. Improvements to the other sites may follow in future years pending approval by the Orange County Board of Commissioners and available funding.
Where Are the Centers Located?
- Bradshaw Quarry Road: intersection of Oak Grove Church Road in Efland
- Eubanks Road: one mile west of N.C. 86 in Chapel Hill
- Ferguson Road: intersection of Old Greensboro Road in Chapel Hill
- High Rock Road: quarter mile west of Mill Creek Road in Efland
- Walnut Grove Church Road: intersection of N.C. 86 North in Hillsborough
What Can I Recycle at the Centers?
You may recycle the same items that you can recycle at the 24-hour recycling dropoff sites:
- Glass bottles and jars
- Plastic bottles
- Empty metal/aluminum and aerosol spray cans
- Aluminum foil
- Phonebooks, newspapers, magazines, brown paper bags and mixed paper
- Corrugated cardboard
- Rigid plastics (No. 2 HDPE, No. 4 LDPE and No. 5 PP non-bottle plastics)
You also may recycle:
- Used motor oil and filters
- Automotive and boat batteries
- Household batteries
- Electronics (including audio cassette tapes, compact discs, video cassette tapes and plastic jewel cases)
- Large appliances and scrap metal (limit of 2 per day)
- Tires (limit of 4 per month)
- Yard waste and clean wood
Solid waste convenience centers accept household trash and bulky items but no business waste. Loads are limited to one pickup truck per day or weekend period.
The centers on Eubanks and Walnut Grove Church roads accept yard waste and have salvage sheds. Reusable items in good condition can be taken to the sheds. The following are not accepted: clothing, carpet, construction material, yard sale remnants, broken furniture or trash items.
The Bradshaw Quarry, Ferguson and High Rock centers can take oversize rigid plastics, such as plastic playground slides, children’s pools or large plastic drums.
- Town News
- About Hillsborough
- Emergency Information
- Town Government
- Town Staff Directory
- Departments and Services
- Business Services
- Fire Marshal
- Public Works
- Stormwater Management
- Water and Sewer Services
- Boards and Commissions
- Meeting List
- Board of Commissioners
- Board of Adjustment
- Historic District Commission
- Margaret Lane Cemetery Committee
- Parks and Recreation Board
- Planning Board
- Tourism Board
- Tourism Development Authority
- Town Clock Committee
- Tree Board
- Water/Sewer Advisory Committee
- Waste Transfer Station Advisory Committee
- Town Budget
- Meeting Calendar
- Town Code
- Green Initiatives
- Bid Postings
- Development Activity
- Economic Development
- Additional Resources
- Site map