The Historic District Commission reviews applications for exterior changes within the Historic District. A majority of the commission’s members have specialized training or an interest in architecture, preservation, archaeology, history or building methods.
The commission’s mission is to identify, protect and preserve Hillsborough’s architectural resources, and to educate the public about those resources and preservation in general.
The Historic District includes the town’s commercial core and the surrounding residential neighborhoods. It contains more than 100 houses, churches and buildings from the 18th and 19th centuries. The district is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and Hillsborough’s period of historic significance is pre-colonial to 1963.
From Georgian- and Federal-style buildings dating to the late 1700s to contemporary construction, the district presents a visual history of Hillsborough’s development. Contributing to the district’s special character are the context and setting created by the district's landscape and a variety of outbuildings, such as detached kitchens, carriage houses, garages, sheds, stables, smokehouses and barns.
- Contributing Structures: Buildings built before 1963 that have not been modified to the extent that they have lost their architectural integrity are considered contributing.
- Non-contributing Structures: Buildings built after 1963, or that have been substantially altered, are considered non-contributing.
Certificates of Appropriateness
It is unlawful to begin construction, moving, demolition, alteration or restoration of any structure or site within the Historic District before a Certificate of Appropriateness has been issued.
The commission meets at 7 p.m. the first Wednesday of each month in the Town Barn, located at 101 E. Orange St. on the Town Hall campus. Parking is accessed from East Corbin Street.
- National Register Historic District Boundary Map
- Local Historic District Map
- Historic District Inventory
- Historic District Inventory Map
- Historic District Commission Rules of Procedure
- Navigating the Historic District Commission Review Process
- Special Report on the Former Colonial Inn
- Complete 2015 Meeting Schedule
Meetings in the Next 60 Days
|Wednesday, July 1, 2015 - 7:00pm||Historic District Commission|
|Wednesday, August 5, 2015 - 7:00pm||Historic District Commission|
- Doing Business
- I Want To...
- Apply For...
- Report ...
- Pay a Water and Sewer Bill Online
- Pay a Bill in Person or by Mail
- Sign up for Emergency Telephone Notifications
- Subscribe to Town News
- View Curbside Collections Calendar
- View Bid Postings
- Participate in the Water Assistance Program
- Check if My Home Receives Town Services
- Look up Zoning
- Reserve a Park Facility
- View Employment Opportunities
- Contact the Town