- I Want To...
- Apply For...
- Report ...
- Participate in the Water Assistance Program
- Pay a Water Bill
- Place a Bid
- Reserve a Park Facility
- Look up where I live
- Look up my Zoning
- Employee Intranet Logon
Special Event Permit
Are you interested in holding a special event? You may need to fill out a Special Event Permit application. View the Special Event Policy to determine whether your event requires a permit.
Events in Hillsborough
Mark your calendars and join us for some of Hillsborough’s major annual events.
NOTE: For a complete listing of events throughout the year and exact dates, visit the Alliance for Historic Hillsborough’s tourism website. You can also find additional information on the Tourism page and the Town News — Tourism News page.
Last Fridays — 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. the last Friday of each month in downtown Hillsborough.
- April through September, artists, musicians, food vendors and craftspeople set up their wares on the sidewalks of the downtown historic district. A band is featured on the lawn of the Old Orange County Courthouse, while businesses, galleries, studios, restaurants, museums and historic sites remain open, offering special events. A filmmaker’s film series also is offered in the Masonic Lodge. Burwell School Historic Site is offering Family Movie Nights.
- During colder months, Last Fridays moves indoors, showcasing film, theater and musical performances.
For more information, contact the Hillsborough Arts Council by phone at 919-643-2500 or by e-mail. The Arts Council is located in the Hillsborough Artists Co-operative in downtown Hillsborough, 102 W. King St.
Pops in the Park — Third Sunday in May in Cameron Park, beside the Central Office of the Orange County Board of Education, along Cameron Street.
- Bring your picnic basket, chair and blanket and enjoy this free outdoor concert by the Durham Symphony Orchestra.
For more information or a rain location, contact the Durham Symphony Orchestra by phone at (919) 560-2736 or by e-mail or visit its website. Or contact the Alliance for Historic Hillsborough by phone at 919-732-7741 or by e-mail.
Spring Garden Tour — Third weekend in May.
- The Alliance for Historic Hillsborough offers a biennial spring garden tour in odd-numbered years.
BikeFest — Second Saturday in August in downtown Hillsborough.
- The BikeFest Rural Heritage Tour offers a choice of several lengths of bike rides beginning in downtown Hillsborough. Included in this event is a free, family-oriented Historic District Fun Ride. Fun Ride participants bike at their own pace in a seven-mile tour of historic sites in and around Hillsborough.
Celebration of the Automobile Car Show — 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. the last Saturday in September at the Historic Occoneechee Speedway Trail on Elizabeth Brady Road.
See cars and their drivers on one of the first NASCAR tracks to open. The speedway, which closed in 1968, is the only remaining dirt track from NASCAR’s inaugural 1949 season.
Handmade Parade — Second Saturday of October in downtown Hillsborough.
- The “walking theatrical performance” features giant puppets, stilt walkers, performers, musicians and lots of handmade costumes. Anyone may participate.
Daniel Boone Craft Fair — 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. the first weekend in December at the Big Barn Convention Center, located at 388 Ja-Max Drive in the Shops at Daniel Boone.
- The annual craft fair features local and statewide vendors selling hand-crafted items.
Holiday Parade — the first Saturday in December on Churton Street in downtown Hillsborough.
- The annual Holiday Parade features marching bands, cheerleaders, floats and a cheery little man from way up north.
For more information, contact the Hillsborough/Orange County Chamber of Commerce by phone at 919-732-8156 or by e-mail or visit its website. The chamber is located at 1000 Corporate Drive, Suite 301 in the Meadowlands Business Park, across from the Triangle SportsPlex.
Candlelight Tour — Noon to 6 p.m. Sunday of the first full weekend in December.
- Visit historic buildings, churches, sites and private homes in Hillsborough during this annual self-guided tour. Shuttle service is provided in town and to tour sites that are not within walking distance.
- Many of Hillsborough’s shops and restaurants are open special hours during the tour.
For more information, contact the Hillsborough/Orange County Chamber of Commerce by phone at 919-732-8156 or by e-mail or visit its website. The chamber is located at 1000 Corporate Drive, Suite 301 in the Meadowlands Business Park, across from the Orange County Sportsplex.
- Town News
- About Hillsborough
- Emergency Information
- Town Government
- Town Staff Directory
- Departments and Services
- Business Services
- Fire Marshal
- Public Works
- Stormwater Management
- Water and Sewer Services
- Boards and Commissions
- Town Budget
- Meeting Calendar
- Town Code
- Green Initiatives
- Bid Postings
- Development Activity
- Additional Resources
- Site map