Curbside Household Garbage Collection
Curbside collection of household waste is provided once a week to all single-family residences. To find out what day your garbage is collected, check the Curbside Collections Calendar.
Garbage Collection Policy
- Only household garbage should be placed in rollout carts.
- Only garbage contained in the town-provided rollout carts will be collected.
- The rollout cart should be placed at the curb before 7 a.m. the day of collection or after 4 p.m. on the preceding day.
- Residents are responsible for removing all solid waste receptacles and uncollected solid waste from the street by 6 a.m. the day after collection.
- All garbage should be contained in bags and should not overflow the cart. The lid should close completely.
- The rollout cart must be within 3 feet of the curb, with the handle facing away from the street.
- The cart should be at least 4 feet clear of parked cars, trees and all other obstructions that may impede the garbage truck's mechanical arm from lifting the cart.
- A maximum of two rollout carts are allowed per residence. A fee, to be paid at Town Hall, is charged for the second cart based on the town's cost.
The first time that the garbage collection policy is not complied with, the driver still will collect your trash. The collector will attach a sanitation policy tag to your cart explaining what you can do to comply with the waste collection policy.
The second time that a sanitation policy tag is left, the driver will not collect your trash. The second policy tag will explain the violations of the policy and will state that your trash will be collected upon compliance with the policy.
Items Not Allowed in Carts
- Fuel tanks or fuel cans
- Hazardous waste
- Medical waste
- Chemical byproducts
- Pressurized containers
- Used oil
- Shock sensitive waste
- Radioactive waste
- Construction/demolition materials
- Cardboard (banned from the Orange County Landfill, must be recycled)
- Plastic bottles (banned from landfills by the state, must be recycled, motor oil bottles accepted.)
Non-rental residences with an active utility account are entitled to one free trash rollout cart when the account is activated. If you need an additional cart, you may purchase a second cart at Town Hall, 101 E. Orange St., for $60.
For rental properties, a cart must be purchased for $60 by the property owner or the renter.
To notify the Public Works Department of a repair need for a trash rollout cart, place a work order by e-mail or by phone at 919-732-2104 Ext. 1010. The Public Works director will determine whether the cart is repairable or should be replaced.
Violations Concerning Placement of Rollout Containers
The town is enforcing its policy on when rollout containers may be placed at the curb with fines.
Notice of violations will be delivered by town staff or sent through postal mail. Residents will have five days from the notice date to comply with the ordinance or a fee of $25 per day will be assessed for each day of noncompliance.
- About Town Government
- Board of Commissioners
- Departments and Divisions
- Advisory Boards
- Meeting Calendar
- Agendas and Minutes Archive
- Contact Us
- Emergency Information
- Public Information
- Town Budget
- Town Code
- Green Initiatives
- Town Jurisdiction and Service Areas
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Contact Forms
- Doing Business
- I Want To...
- Apply For...
- Report ...
- Subscribe to Town News
- View Curbside Collections Calendar
- View Bid Postings
- Pay a Water/Sewer Bill
- Participate in the Water Assistance Program
- Check if My Home Receives Town Services
- Look up Zoning
- Reserve a Park Facility
- View Employment Opportunities
- Contact the Town