Curbside collection of household waste is provided once a week to all single-family residences. To find out what day garbage is collected, see the Curbside Collections Calendar.
- Only household garbage should be placed in rollout carts.
- Paint cans must be dried, flattened and lidless.
- Only garbage contained in the town-provided carts will be collected.
- The cart should be placed at the curb before 7 a.m. the day of collection, or after 4 p.m. the preceding day.
- Residents are responsible for removing all solid waste receptacles and uncollected solid waste from the street by 6 a.m. the day after collection.
- All garbage should be contained in bags.
- The cart lid should be able to close completely.
- The cart must be within 3 feet of the curb, with the handle facing away from the street.
- The cart should be at least 4 feet from parked cars, trees or other obstructions.
- Only two carts are allowed per residence. A fee, to be paid at Town Hall, is charged for a second cart. Town Hall is located at 101 E. Orange St., and parking is accessed from East Corbin Street.
If the above requirements are not followed, a sanitation policy door tag will be left. Garbage will be collected with the first violation, but not subsequent violations.
The town is enforcing its policy on removal of all solid waste receptacles and uncollected solid waste from the street with fines. Notices of violations are delivered by town staff or by mail. Residents have five days from the notice date to comply with the ordinance or a fee of $25 per day will be assessed.
Items Not Allowed
- Fuel tanks or fuel cans
- Hazardous waste
- Medical waste
- Chemical byproducts
- Pressurized containers
- Used oil
- Shock sensitive waste
- Radioactive waste
- Construction or demolition materials
- Cardboard (must be recycled)
- Plastic bottles except other than oil bottles (must be recycled)
Non-rental residences with active utility accounts are entitled to one free trash rollout cart when the account is activated. A fee can be paid at Town Hall for a second cart. A fee must be paid at Town Hall for carts for rental properties. Town Hall is located at 101 E. Orange St., and parking is accessed from East Corbin Street.
Cart delivery or repair work orders may be placed by email, or by calling 919-732-2104, ext. 1010.
- Doing Business
- I Want To...
- Apply For...
- Report ...
- Pay a Water and Sewer Bill Online
- Pay a Bill in Person or by Mail
- Sign up for Emergency Telephone Notifications
- Subscribe to Town News
- View Curbside Collections Calendar
- View Bid Postings
- Participate in the Water Assistance Program
- Check if My Home Receives Town Services
- Look up Zoning
- Reserve a Park Facility
- View Employment Opportunities
- Contact the Town