Curbside Household Garbage Collection
Curbside collection of household waste is provided once a week to all single-family residences. To find out what day your garbage is collected, check the Curbside Collections Calendar.
Garbage Collection Policy
- Only household garbage should be placed in rollout carts.
- Only garbage contained in the town-provided rollout carts will be collected.
- The rollout cart should be placed at the curb before 7 a.m. the day of collection or after 4 p.m. on the preceding day.
- Residents are responsible for removing all solid waste receptacles and uncollected solid waste from the street by 6 a.m. the day after collection.
- All garbage should be contained in bags and should not overflow the cart. The lid should close completely.
- The rollout cart must be within 3 feet of the curb, with the handle facing away from the street.
- The cart should be at least 4 feet clear of parked cars, trees and all other obstructions that may impede the garbage truck's mechanical arm from lifting the cart.
- A maximum of two rollout carts are allowed per residence. A fee, to be paid at Town Hall, is charged for the second cart based on the town's cost.
The first time that the garbage collection policy is not complied with, the driver still will collect your trash. The collector will attach a sanitation policy tag to your cart explaining what you can do to comply with the waste collection policy.
The second time that a sanitation policy tag is left, the driver will not collect your trash. The second policy tag will explain the violations of the policy and will state that your trash will be collected upon compliance with the policy.
Items Not Allowed in Rollout Carts
- Fuel tanks or fuel cans
- Hazardous waste
- Medical waste
- Chemical byproducts
- Pressurized containers
- Used oil
- Shock sensitive waste
- Radioactive waste
- Construction/demolition materials
- Cardboard (banned from the Orange County Landfill, must be recycled)
- Plastic bottles (banned from landfills by the state, must be recycled, motor oil bottles accepted.)
Violations Concerning Placement of Rollout Containers
The town is enforcing its policy on when rollout containers may be placed at the curb with fines.
Notice of violations will be delivered by town staff or sent through postal mail. Residents will have five days from the notice date to comply with the ordinance or a fee of $25 per day will be assessed for each day of noncompliance.
- About Town Government
- Emergency Information
- Public Information
- Departments and Programs
- Fire Marshal
- Public Works
- Stormwater Management
- Water and Sewer Services
- Boards and Commissions
- Town Budget
- Meeting Calendar
- Town Code
- Green Initiatives
- Our Partners
- Doing Business
- I Want To...
- Apply For...
- Report ...
- Subscribe to Town News
- Participate in the Water Assistance Program
- Pay a Water Bill
- View Bid Postings
- Reserve a Park Facility
- Look up where I live
- Look up my Zoning
- Employee Intranet