A business license, also known as a privilege license, is required to operate a business within the Hillsborough town limits. Business licenses must be obtained before you open your business and are valid through June 30 of each year. The fee for the business license varies based on the type of business.
To obtain your business license, stop by the Town Hall Annex at 137 N. Churton St.
Along with general information about your business, you will need to provide a federal employer identification number (EIN).
- For more information about obtaining an employer identification number, visit the Internal Revenue Service's Web site.
In addition to obtaining a business license, you also may be required to get:
- A fire inspection from the Hillsborough fire marshal
- A zoning compliance permit from the Hillsborough Planning Department
The policy on business licenses may be obtained in Chapter 8 of the Town Code.
Questions about a business license? Call us at 919-732-2104 Ext. 1008, or contact us by email. For information about other requirements, contact the appropriate departments as listed above.
- About Town Government
- Board of Commissioners
- Departments and Divisions
- Advisory Boards
- Meeting Calendar
- Agendas and Minutes Archive
- Contact Us
- Emergency Information
- Public Information
- Town Budget
- Town Code
- Green Initiatives
- Town Jurisdiction and Service Areas
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Contact Forms
- Doing Business
- I Want To...
- Apply For...
- Report ...
- Subscribe to Town News
- View Curbside Collections Calendar
- View Bid Postings
- Pay a Water/Sewer Bill
- Participate in the Water Assistance Program
- Check if My Home Receives Town Services
- Look up Zoning
- Reserve a Park Facility
- View Employment Opportunities
- Contact the Town